Sunday, December 29, 2013

Another New Year



Another New Year loomed overhead and then perched on the edge of Father Time's vast horizon, like a powerful eagle waiting to swoop down on its most vulnerable prey.

Father Time had been expecting him and spotted him immediately, when he arrived on the doorstep. He could see that this New Year was expecting to be welcomed like a prodigal son coming home, and also anticipated being allowed full access to the current tides of time.

"Why should I let you in?" Father Time asked him sternly, momentarily blocking the entrance to the tides of time, much to his dismay.

"What have your predecessors ever contributed to humanity? Have they proclaimed love, manifested its true expression, or merely perpetrated pseudo-love?"

"But I am a brand new year blossoming like a rose bud, filled with fresh potential," the New Year argued. "You cannot deny me access to the tides of time. That is my place in history, my rightful inheritance."

"The New Years, as well as the tides, all come and go," replied Father Time. "You too, will come and go, as that is your fate. To date, your predecessors have merely magnified and multiplied the woes of this world. Why should I allow this phenomenon to continue throughout the rest of history? Would it not be wiser for all of the New Years to be stopped in their tracks?"

The New Year could not believe Father Time's word.

"But I would not be given birth," argued the New Year. "I would die before I am even born, and so would all of the New Years destined to follow in my footsteps."

"Maybe then the problems of man would finally cease?"

"But you have to give me a chance," argued the New Year, tearfully. "That is only fair."

The midnight hour was approaching quickly, and he knew fear for the first time.

"Fortunately for you and all of the other New Years, I have a loving, forgiving Spirit," said Father Time, gently. "But consider yourself warned!"

At the stroke of midnight, Father Time opened the door, allowing the new New Year to be born, but also simultaneously unleashing the tides of time afresh, knowing that this New Year would fulfill his own destiny, just like all of the others.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment