Saturday, July 6, 2013

The New Tower of Babel: Inherent Implosion



"Try my inherent implosion theory on that one," said Morgan, a budding, young architect who was pointing her index finger towards a tall building in the heart of a new city growing in leaps and bounds.
Numerous tall buildings towered high on the horizon, particularly this one. It was going to be the highest of all. Its shiny, glass front seemed to splash brilliant, rainbow colors all around and created wonderful beams that radiated from its heart, like those of a diamond exposed to a brilliant light.
"That is my project," said Morgan to her boyfriend. Isn't it marvelous?" 

Todd was a new architectural graduate she had been dating for a while, but she had never discussed her project with him.

She smiled at him sweetly. 

"It is already so beautiful, and it is not finished yet."
"Inherent implosion theory?" the young man asked, marveling at her new recent architectural structure rising high into the sky. "Are you serious? What on earth are you talking about?"

"I am very serious. Look me straight in the eye and then tell me that this building does not have an inherent implosion potential. I know it does, as I designed it. There is no such a thing as a perfect architectural design. Strengthening one aspect of a building has a tendency to weaken other aspects of it.” 

"Inherent implosion is a flaw inevitable in any structure then."
"Right, but there is a lot more to it than that. Figure this out. How can an architect guarantee the future of any building project in our era, much less that of other times? He or she cannot do that. Look at the cost of property alone in this city. No one can afford to buy property, much less build on it, unless of course the insurance coverage covers the cost of construction and development. The insurance only becomes meaningful when it is destroyed or collapses.”
"That is a scary thought," said Todd. "It also means that anyone could intentionally build a flaw into a structure."

"Preventing that from happening is a challenge for architects like us." 

Morgan smiled at him.

“Morgan, you are so cute when you smile," Todd said, not taking her theory seriously. "Maybe I should ask her tonight," he thought to himself. "I have been thinking about asking you to marry me, but I wanted to graduate with my degree in architecture first."

Todd wondered if Morgan heard what he said. 

"What better way to make certain that there will be another structure on this same site within ‘x’ number of years?" Morgan replied. "That way architects will always have employment, too."
"Inherent implosion potential would suggest that it is can be built right into the architectural design. In other words, so that it is already there when it is constructed."
Todd looked more closely at the new building in the distance, putting his hand up over his eyes to reduce the intensity of the setting sun's rays.
"Maybe I should look a little closer into this. You are really serious," he said aloud.
Morgan nodded. 

"This theory is not a new one. The collapse of buildings is a phenomenon that occurred ever since the time of the Tower of Babel, or probably even before that, maybe on a smaller scale."
“You think that the Tower of Babel may have been constructed in such a way that it was guaranteed to collapse?” Todd asked.
“Just think about it,” replied Morgan. “All of the major structures throughout history have tumbled down, at one time or another.”
 “I want you to marry me. Woman, you have to be some kind of a genius to figure that one out,” replied Todd, smiling at her.
"Oh, come on Todd, take me seriously." Morgan laughed at the look on his face.
“Regardless, I want to keep you around for a while," he said, smiling at her even more sweetly. “I am asking you to marry me," Todd said aloud, as he got down on one knee. "I am serious. Morgan, I love you. I really do want you to be my wife. Will you marry me?”
Morgan did not answer immediately.
She continued to expound upon her theory.
"Do you realize that this means that every single structure ever constructed has the same inherent potential for implosion? Every building constructed in the past will collapse at one time, or another. Those currently under construction or any of them going to be in the future all have the potential to collapse. This includes skyscrapers, other towers, large malls, churches, castles on the Rhine, bridges, dams or even space stations. It is just a matter of time. Architects like us will always have employment, as there will always be more and better structures to design."
"Was that a no'?" Todd wondered, remaining silent for a brief moment. "How do I get you to take me seriously? I want to get married and settle down, maybe raise a few children. Don't you?"
"There is an eternal quest for perfection and only thing that does not have inherent implosion potential."
"What is that?"
"Love, of course!”
"Now we are getting down to brass tacks," said Todd, realizing his dream was about to come true and that was a yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment